Friday, March 2, 2012

Is Smerdyakov the Killer?

After David's infantile complaint that Dostoevsky has failed to get to the 'business' of the book, I asked myself who it will be to perform the deed of murdering Fyodor Pavlovich. After careful consideration, I have concluded that Dmitry is a red herring and that the mastermind of this homicide is in fact going to be the illegitimate son (?) Smerdyakov.

Although I have not yet ascertained Smerdyakov's motive (maybe he is simply a psychopath who delights in doing evil), there are several indications that he may be a sinister force amongst the other characters. First, there is the almost supernatural force of discomfort which he instills in others. After leaving the Khokhlakovas', Alyosha begins experience a clairvoyance that "a terrible and unavoidable catastrophe" will occur (page 291). He has this experience just before encountering Smerdyakov. While it seems a bit of a stretch to blame Smerdyakov for Alyosha's sensation, remember that Ivan is also upset by a vibe which is directly linked to Smerdyakov. Ivan's feeling is described as "an unendurable anguish" (page 345) and, although it is accredited to his annoyance with Smerdyakov's "loathsome familiarity" (347), it may be that there is something palpable emanating from Smerdyakov which signifies an evil trait. If so, this may be why Dostoevsky gave him a name which is a variation of "stinking", as if he is producing an evil odor.

I also find something suspicious about the fact that Smerdyakov told Dmitry the "signals" used to alert Fyodor Pavlovich to Grushenka's presence (page 351-52). However afraid Smerdyakov may be of Dmitry, it is doubtful that he would have allowed his fear to betray the confidence of a man whom he has shown such loyalty to before, as in when he returned Fyodor's lost money (page 168-69). Also, I am unsure whether or not his epilepsy is genuine. Smerdyakov claims to know that he will have a fit the next day, but Ivan points out that "it was supposed to be impossible to anticipate a fit of the falling sickness" (page 350). And Smerdyakov himself hints that he may be pretending when he says that pretending "is very easy for a person with experience" (page 351). I believe Smerdyakov has planned this falling fit to be his alibi, so that he can claim to have been invalid when the murder occurred. Ivan even says that the murder is going to occur "as if according to some design" of Smerdyakov's (page 354).

But why would Smerdyakov want to murder Fyodor Pavlovich? The motive cannot be monetary since his paternity cannot be established. My working theory is that Smerdyakov is trying to commit the perfect murder, as Raskolnikov in Dostoevsky's other novel Crime and Punishment sought to do. The only evidence I have is his affinity for Napoleon, which he expressed when he mentioned that the clever nation of France should have conquered the stupid nation of Russia (page 294). I have not read Crime and punishment but if you will pick up your copy of Karamazov and go the very back pages, you will find an advertisement for the book which tells us that Raskolnikov considers himself to be "a Napoleon: acting for a higher purpose beyond conventional moral law."

What do you think? Is Smerdyakov above conventional morality?

12 comments:

  1. Hey, now, "David's infantile complaint?" Them's fightin' words, I'll have you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just that as a history major I would expect you to be more concerned with the factors leading up to an important event - like economic motives and social culture - rather than trying to mythologize the event.

      Delete
    2. Yes, well as a history major I've been working on a thesis this semester and it's been taking up quite a lot of my time, you see, and I just feel that, well, if time that might otherwise be spent on my thesis, or recovering from my thesis, is to be spent on this thousand-page book, I would just like to know what this book is about.

      I think I have been very much misunderstood on this point, it's not that I am anxious for the business to start, it's that I want to know what it is. I suppose that we won't know until the book is over, and certainly Dr. Isham isn't going to tell us. Very likely it will be subject to interpretation.

      You know, I laughed when I read your post originally but now I think I may be offended.

      Delete
    3. Dude are you serious? I was just messing around :)

      Delete
    4. Well I didn't think you were trying to be mean, no, but given your original post and then reply to my first comment, on balance, yes I'm a bit offended. But I'll get over it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple thoughts about Smerdyakov's ability to "predict" his falling fits. I believe that Smerdyakov is great at pretending to have them in order to protect himself from the anger of Fyodor, of which he is positive will kill him sooner or later if the Grushenka does not come. By telling this idea of pretending being easy for one who does it so often to Ivan, I feel like it could be a warning to Ivan to 1. Smerdyakov may have pretended to do other things and 2. It could have been a jab at Ivan that perhaps Smerdyakov has found him out and recognized that Ivan pretends far more than others may expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see that you have made a good case for why you believe it to be Smerdyakov who will commit the atrocious crime, but I disagree with the motive. And for this to truly make sense, you would have to read Crime and Punishment as I just had during January. Raskolnikov is not trying to necessarily commit the perfect murder, but become a higher type of person who the laws do not apply to by being able to step over a line that separates these master people from the average. He believes murder would be one such way. If there were anyone in Brothers Karamazov who I would consider a Raskolnikov, it would most definitely be Ivan because they are both intellectuals who struggle with an internal issue concerning faith and their ability to carry out their desires. It is also especially interesting that there are two unique things that are presented by both Ivan and Raskolnikov in the different tales: variations of the concept "Everything is permitted" and a variation of the story of the horse who was flogged on the eyes appears in a dream of Raskolnikov. This may help give some perspective or it may return you to a confounded state on who the real killer might be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally don’t think Smerdyakov is going to be the killer. I think he does know who the killer is though. I think that the killer is most likely Dmitry with his anger streaks and hatred towards his father…but this is just a guess. I think that Dmitry told Smerdyakov about his plan and is trying to warn someone about it when he tells Ivan about his predicted “fits.” No matter who it is, I feel like we will find out very soon as the story unfolds, but with Dostoyevsky who knows how soon that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have for a while considered that Smerdyakov will be the one to commit the murder of Fyodor. Not enough is known about his personality to be put at ease about his character, and while there is still a mystery about some of the other characters, Smerdyakov is the one that we seem to know the least about. I too am uneasy when he comes into the pictuer, as Ivan and Alyosha are. His "fear" of Dmitry seems to escalated to be real; instead, it is almost theatrical. It seems as if he is setting up another alibi, a person he can point the finger at. He tells Dmitry the signals almost in preparation to say Dmitry has the perfect motive for the murder and the means to do it. I feel Smerdyakov may commit the murder perhaps as revenge to Fyodor for the denial of parentage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha! Oh Graham, I looked up the word "infantile" just to make there wasn't another meaning for it. Anyway, I read your blog and i you put up a good argument and a strong point. Smerdyakov has been known to sacrifice animals just for the pleasure of doing so. However, the motive bothers me. Like you said he cannot receive any inheritance. Although, his sheer hatred could be motive enough. Still though, my money is on Alyosha being the killer. I am beginning to notice a change in him. I do not believe that Dostoyevsky simply lied about Alyosha not caring about benefactor, being spiritual, and never taking offense. Instead I believe that he is changing and as for motive perhaps it is peace for the family. Dimitry gets Grushenka, Ivan gets Katerina, and Alyosha gets with Lise. Besides to this very day Fyodr has no conccern for Alyosha's mother, and even openly mocks her. This building tension seems to make Alyosha the perfect candidate. Besides, it's always the one you'd least expect... although I least expect it to be Lady Khoklokova.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if I am totally sold on the idea of Smerdyakov committing the murder but after this section the case for it gets stronger. We found out early on that Smerdyakov liked to slaughter cats in a ritual manner and took pleasure in it. I also agree the conversation with Ivan was suspicious. Thinking about it now, it could be Smerdyakov will be an accomplice to Dmitry in the murder.

    ReplyDelete